Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Submission 1- equus

12pictures

General Information
Client: Classroom monitor
Name: Steven
Location: Brisbane
Age: 32
Family: wife and 3 children

It can be assumed that my client may suffer from several physical and psychological symptoms (Refer to the previous posts). As a result of such a harmful conditions, he is depressing everyday. He wants to have relaxation and stability in his life, so I avoided having funky enterior views for design. It helps him to get himself together when he comes home. In order to heal his symptoms, I have decided to concentrate on how “house” can be the main element to comfort and relax my client. In another word, how architecture is able to create occupant comfort to their client. I used Japanese Traditional Strategies of relaxation and western traditional dwelling.


Plan1-Arrangement1
The good dwelling has to include sufficient ventilation system, breeze paths and sunlight to have occupant comfort. Who can relax with unclean air? For the first design, I have designed a house with VENTILATION TOWER (Exploration from traditional dwellings).That helps unclean air to exit from the top. Alternatively, when weather is cold, we can shut the tower’s door. Therefore, the house can keep warmth whenever it needs (Refer to Diagram 2).

This is the external view of the first model. I tended to use Japanese traditional strategies of dwelling since the weather in Brisbane is similar to Japan.

This is a picture of living room and dinning room (refer to the previous posts of floor plans and diagram of zoning). I have used 3 strategies to improve occupant comfort, including ventilation system, natural lighting system and connection with family.



Natural light is the one of most important source to have better occupant comfort. Although I calculated external eaves and vertical/ horizontal louvers, it could not be managed to bring maximum natural light to living area and private area. Especially it was hard to have light into bedrooms due to the preferable arrangement of zoning. Consequently, I have used mirror reflection to bring natural light to the entire house(Refer to diagram2). It could be very expensive to remote-control the mirrors systematically, so I have placed a lot of distinctive shapes of mirrors in the living room next to the bedroom (First floor). It looks like many stars (Mirrors) in the sky (Ceiling) at night.

The second attempt is a connection with family (refer to diagram3). It is psychologically comfortable that we can feel someone is just next to and where you can talk easily. It produces a sense of security to all family members that is one of the main source to have a comfortable space and time in the house. I have designed a connection between living areas (ground floor) to all private bedrooms (1st floor) including children’s rooms.
Furthermore, many kinds of family problems are occurred by a lack of communication these days. What if there is a space to have a connection with family since young? The space and time are the most important to have family and a nice mood in the house.

This is a view from the separated bathroom. As I mentioned in a previous post, the bathroom is not only a purpose to clean body. It is also for relaxing and a place for relieving tiredness. I have produced a connection between external garden and bathroom. It produces a sense of opening and enjoyable views. I also have used one of Japanese traditional material, calls Hinoki. Hikoki has very nice smell especially when it has been wet. It is said that there is an effect of an aroma (aromatherapy).


Plan1-Arrangement2


This is my 2nd model. I have re-arranged internal spaces (zoning).Please refer to the previous post for floor plans. The 3 strategies which I have introduced above are effectively applied in this model as well. I also gave an essence of art for this model.

For this model, I have produced another relaxation space. I have research about Japanese traditional culture again here. The external corridor is used as the main relaxation area in Japanese tradition. They enjoy tea, external views, smells, winds, and birds’ song and so on… That is always a question that what makes people comfort. In fact, I have external corridors in my house in Japan. I believe that the nature is the one which only can comfort/ relax human beings. In the process of planning, I placed a special emphasis on my instinctive answer. Therefore, I attempted to design a continuous external corridor as a main zone in this model. It also brings well circulation system in this house. Additionally, as houses in Brisbane require having eaves to avoid having sunshine in summer, the corridor space also works as an eave. The gap between living space to garden helps to design without ugly eaves around the house.

How it can be functioned is thhe client can sit there to relax with nature. Children also can play around. Therefore it also produces a connection with family.


ARRANGEMENT1







This is a picture of my 3rd model. Please refer to the previous post for floor plans.


The strategy, ‘connection with family’, bathroom and external corridor for relaxation spaces which I have introduced above are effectively applied in this model as well. However, I have applied the connection with family in the other way (refer to Diagram3). I concentrated on the typical characteristics of Australian. They often open home parties. The house has to be able to proud of something. I have deigned kitchen as the main unit in this model. The kitchen is located in the central between living and dinning room. I have attempted to have maximum communication in the living areas. The lack of communication tends to be occurred in the kitchen. To place kitchen at the central of house, everyone can see mother is cooking. Then children are easy to come to help. Everyone loves to come to kitchen to have a conversation or activity. I also produced an internal garden around kitchen. It brings natural light to entire house.


PLAN2-ARRANGEMENT2






For the 4th model, I have gathered all concepts.

  • Connection with family
    Bathroom and external corridor as relaxation spaces
    Ventilation tower
    Lighting system

No comments: